Saturday 11 June 2016

VCA Metadata Project

This year I've been doing some volunteer work for the VCA school of film, for it's 50th birthday. I've been collecting metadata about previous graduates and their final films, and filling in the information that I've gathered into a Google Sheet. It's quite simple work; I've been given two sheets, one with the information that the school already has on the film, and a different sheet to copy this information into, and to add any other material that I discover. There are some overlapping information groups, but the idea is that I need to find more information about the films and the filmmakers themselves. It's interesting work, and it's using some of the searching skills that I've developed through my studies.

My group of filmmakers all graduated in the years 2006-2010. So far, I've found an Emmy winning filmmaker, some freelance filmmakers, a couple of journalists, a convicted pedophile, and a few others who don't seem to have done anything film-related since graduating. I've been doing this since February, but it's great because if I have a lot of homework, I can put it on hold. I can also do it from home, which is ace.

The one issue is the number of graduates. Turns out there are over two hundred of them, and as each one takes me about twenty minutes, I'm going to be doing this for ages. It's fairly simple work, though, it's really more about Google searching.

Here's one of the graduate films which I thought was fairly appropriate for a blog about library studies, Bibliomania:


No comments:

Post a Comment