Thursday 24 September 2015

DCC Lifecycle


from http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/curation-lifecycle-model
This is the digital lifecycle that we have been studying all semester in Digital Curation. It's from the Digital Curation Centre in the UK. The stages of this digital lifecycle are:
  • Conceptualise
  • Create
  • Access and Use
  • Appraise and Select
  • Dispose
  • Ingest 
  • Preservation Action
  • Reappraise
  • Store 
  • Access and Reuse
  • Transform
Each week, we have been looking at a different stage of the lifecycle in class. Not going to lie, it's a fairly dry subject, and it's shown me that digital curation is not a possible career for me. I would hate it way too much. It's an important job, but not for me. 

Our final assignment for this subject is a scientific report, looking at one aspect of the DCC lifecyle. I've chosen to research the appraisal process. How is it that library organisations and businesses decide what digital information needs to be kept, and what can be thrown away? Does there even need to be an appraisal process, or can everything be kept forever? Hopefully it'll be interesting, and I won't put it off forever like I did the last assignment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment